Great Barrier Reef Island Resort - 3 Night Luxury Island Holiday Package with BONUS Reef Trip, Daily Breakfast & More from ONLY $969 pp! Green Island Resort Australia is located on a tropical island paradise just waiting to be discovered…enjoy pristine tropical beaches and lush tropical rainforest while holidaying in five star resort accommodation. Green Island Resort and Spa is a tranquil holiday sanctuary, ideal for a romantic getaway, honeymoon or family holiday. Come discover the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef at Green Island Resort.
As guests of Green Island Resort, you receive Complimentary return catamaran transfers from Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal, complimentary sunset drinks, glass bottom boat tour, rainforest and guided evening nature walks, fish feeding presentation daily, snorkelling equipment and most non-motorised beach activities such as kayaking, beach volleyball and windsurfing.
Ultimate Great Barrier Reef Getaway 3 Night Package - Enjoy 3 Nights with FREE Buffet Breakfast Daily, BONUS Outer Barrier Reef Trip for 2 including Lunch, Snorkelling & Semi-submersible tour & More! From $969 per person twin share. BOOK NOW!
Accommodation at Green Island Resort
Green Island Eco-Resort offers five star holiday accommodation on the Great Barrier Reef Australia. There are two styles of resort accommodation at Green Island Resort – the Reef Suites and the Island Suites. Attention to detail is paramount at Green Island Resort and Spa, and indulgent inclusions such as high quality linens and gorgeous soft furnishings feature throughout the guest rooms.
at Green Island Resort boast a range of five star facilities including:
Complimentary Activities -
* Return Catamaran transfers
* Complimentary Sunset Drink
* Glass Bottom Boat Tour
* Rainforest guided evening nature walks
* Fish Feeding presentation daily
* Snorkelling Equipment
* Non-motorised beach activities, such as kayaking, windsurfing
Covid 19 Update - Please note Covid Safe Measures are in place to minimise any potential risks so you can enjoy your Great Barrier Reef Experience in confidence. Some activities such as night walks and fish feeding are currently not available. Please note - Vessel Transfers currently operating Mond, Wed, Fri, Sat & Sunday. Please enquire at time of booking.
Ultimate Great Barrier Reef Getaway 3 Night Package - Enjoy 3 Nights with FREE Buffet Breakfast Daily and a BONUS Full Day Outer Barrier Reef Trip for 2 (day trip include Lunch, Snorkelling & Semi-submersible tour), return vessel transfers to and from Green Island, along with all non-motorised beach activities, Glass Bottom Boat Tour, Daily Sunset Drink. From $969 per person twin share.
Family Offer - Up to 2 Children (up to 14yrs) stay FREE using existing bedding in Island Suite Twin (2 Double Beds). Book your Family Island Holiday today Call 1300 780 806
Island Suites – are gorgeous guest suites that offer 56 sq m of luxury. Choose from a King Bed or two Double Beds with some Island Suites are interconnecting or adjoining. The Island Suites are ‘hotel style’ accommodation, featuring casual interiors that flow onto a private balcony complete with outdoor furnishings. Each Island Suite boasts a large bath and separate rain shower. One Island Suite features disability facilities. Green Island Suites are perfect for two adults, or a family of 2 Adults & 2 Children (up to 14yrs) sharing two double beds.
Reef Suites - are beautifully appointed split level guest rooms that span 66 sq m. Each Reef Suite at Green Island Resort and Spa boasts a large king bed, the ideal location to enjoy lazy tropical sleep-ins. The lounge area is spacious and modern, boasting sensational rainforest or swimming pool views. The interiors are fresh and modern, offering polished wooden floorboards that sweep through the stylish interiors. A large private balcony is the ideal location to enjoy the unique tropical island milieu, nestled under the shade of the rainforest canopy. Each Reef Suite at Green Island Resort and Spa boasts a large plunge bath and separate rain shower. Green Island Reef Suites accommodate two guests in comfort.
Green Island Resort boasts a plethora of five star resort facilities, designed to delight both most active and inactive amongst us. Whether it’s lazing by a private resort swimming pool, luxuriating in Green Islands destination Day Spa or scuba diving off the waters of the Great Barrier Reef – Green Island has the activity to suit.
Complimentary Green Island Resort Guest Activities…
Guided Evening Nature Walks
- Join a Green Island naturalist on a guided walk around the Island; choose from either an underwater observatory walk or a ghost crab beach walk. Make sure to bring the yellow flash light from your room so you can spot the critters hidden in a blanketed night sky. This tour departs nightly at 9:00 and is complimentary for resort guests.
- At 5:00pm each evening find your way to the Jetty for nightly fish feeding. Watch as enormous tropical fish surge to the top of the water for their nightly feed. Fish feeding is complimentary for resort guests.
- Sunset Drinks are nightly at 5:30 at the Beach Hire Shop. Included for all hotel guests is free sparkling wine and fruit juice.
- Play a game of volleyball right on the sandy Green Island Beach with staff or friends.
Self Guided Island Walks
- Self guided island walks are available anytime you feel like discovering the islands network of trails. Walk from the beach through the National Park and discover over 120 different species including grasses, palms, scramblers, trees and vines and several native Australian birds and animals. The 15 hectare Island takes about 45 minutes to walk around depending on your discoveries on the way.
Water Based Activities…
- Snorkel hire (mask and fins) is available complimentary for guests at the Beach Hire Shop. Snorkel just off the beach and you will see hundreds of colourful tropical fish including the infamous Nemo clown fish. Snorkelling is best on the western side of the island by the Jetty although the waters here are deeper than just off the beach. For an additional fee go on a guided snorkelling tour; take a short boat trip to deeper waters with professional crew and see more varieties of marine life and corals.
Glass Bottom Boat Tours
- From Green Island aboard a glass bottom boat and view the coral reefs, fish and ocean floor without getting wet. Glass bottom boats are great for children or those who can’t swim. Glass Bottom Boat Tours are complimentary for resort guests.
Windsurfing, surf skis, and canoes
- These are all provided free of charge for resort guests. Explore the waters on any of these challenging water toys.
Optional Island Activities…
- Introductory scuba diving can be done in the resort pool to help you get used to breathing underneath the water. From there move to some special learning sites offshore with professional certified scuba dive instructors. For PADI certified scuba-diving head further out to specialty selected sites for experienced divers. (Fees Apply)
- This exciting crocodile and marine life habitat centre is Green Island’s most fascinating attraction! Guided tours are available for groups or else just wander to the Marine Park yourself. At 10:30 and 1:45 there is a crocodile show each day. Be amazed as the daring crocodile handler feeds the powerful salt water crocodile Cassius, the largest captive salt water croc in the world! Handle a young crocodile and take a photo to show all your friends and family back at home. Also at Marineland Melanesia you will find Papua New Guinean Carvings and Tribal Art, Old-Restored Marine Artefacts and Stationary Engines, Colourful Marine Aquariums and Giant Marine Turtles that have been rescued and are being re-habilitated. (Fees apply)
Full Day Tour to The Great Barrier Reef for Snorkellers and Scuba Divers
- Board a large high-speed catamaran for a day on the Outer Great Barrier Reef. Your boat will depart from Green Island at 11:30 and you will arrive at The Great Adventures Pontoon for nearly four hours of activities. There is an extensive buffet lunch served on the pontoon at 1:00. Other included activities on the Great Adventures Pontoon include: an underwater observatory, snorkelling equipment, semi-submersible marine tours, scuba-doo adventure (scooter riding on the ocean floor), sea-walker (a great way to see the reef for non swimmers or those that don’t want to get their hair wet- walk on a railing with a oxygen dome placed over your head- get up close and personal with some fish and other marine life!), introductory scuba dives or certified PADI scuba dives. The Great Adventures Pontoon has change rooms with fresh towels, toilettes and coin operated lockers. The catamaran leaves the pontoon at 3:30, you will arrive back at Green Island at approximately 4:30.
- Submerge beneath the ocean’s surface and discover the enchanted underwater world beneath!
- Another great option for non swimmers who are curious to explore the depths of the Great Barrier Reef. An oxygenated dome is placed overtop of your head allowing you to breath normally and effortlessly. You will be guided along an underwater platform while being supervised by several professionally trained dive instructors. With the offering of some food, fish of all sizes and types will swim all around you; a great way to see the reef without even getting your hair wet! (Fees apply)
- Helicopter Flights are another must-do while staying on Green Island. You haven’t seen the Great Barrier Reef until you have seen if from above. Soak in the immensity of the world’s largest living organism! Spot whales, turtles, sharks and dolphins from the sky!
- Fly overtop of the reef in a parasail. Adventure seekers will love the feeling of weightlessly being suspended overtop of the tropical waters.
Green Island Oiled Massage Salon…
A visit to Green Island’s Massage Salon goes simultaneously hand in hand with a visit to Green Island. For the ultimate in relaxations, enjoy one of the signature massage Oil, Shiatsu or Reflexoloy. The Green Island Oiled Massage Salon uses only pure Australian golden jojoba oil as the base oil, blended with your choice of aromatic oils to tailor your massage experience and to radiate and refresh your mind, body and soul. Choose your treatment location; enjoy your spa treatment in the privacy of your own room, in a pool-side rainforest setting, or in a comfortable treatment room. Choose from one of the following spa treatments:
- Full Body Massage
- Back Massage
- Foot Massage - Reflexology
- Oil Shiatsu Massages
- Head Shiatsu
- Hot Stones
Dining on Green Island Resort…
Green Island Resort, Australia has several dining options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Emerald’s Restaurant
- At Emerald’s Restaurant on Green Island, fresh local produce is prepared to create mouth watering dishes. Sit indoors or outside on their alfresco terrace, the restaurant features stylish table settings and beautiful polished floor boards. Taste some of Australia’s freshest seafood like mud crab, crayfish, clams, mussels, moreton bay bugs and prawns. If you don’t have a taste for seafood try some fresh cut meats and tasty pasta dishes. Emerald’s Restaurant has an extensive wine list and is also open for breakfast and lunch.
The Canopy Grill
- The Canopy Grill on Green Island has an extensive barbeque lunch buffet daily or outdoor dining under the rainforest canopy from 9:30am to 4:00pm. The Canopy Grill specialises in burgers & fries, salads and wraps.
- Beach Dining on Green Island is also available. Enjoy a freshly cooked barbeque with seafood and local Atherton Tablelands produce while watching a sultry tropical sunset. Beach Dining is available for couples or groups and of course is weather dependent.
Lite Bites Ice Cream Parlour
- Lite Bites Ice Cream Parlour is a favourite amongst the kids. Enjoy several flavours of ice-cream and cool off from the tropical sun.
Reflections Pool Bar
- Reflections Pool Bar is located right beside the public guest pool. Have a freshly prepared cocktail or try a pre-made margarita or daiquiri. Local and imported beers and wines as well as soft drinks and juice are also available. There is also a snack bar menu here that is different to The Canopy Grill.
Day Visitors to Green Island…
If you can’t manage to stay overnight on Green Island there are full and half day options to visit this Island of the Great Barrier Reef. Come to the island via a boat, helicopter or seaplane (see below) and utilise the day guest facilities on the island. Most package tours of Green Island have the option of either snorkelling equipment or a glass bottom boat tour. Day guests can use any of the restaurant and bar facilities as well as the resorts heated pool. All other activities are an additional charge.
Getting to Green Island…
There are three ways you can get to Green Island: By boat, by helicopter and by seaplane.
By Boat: Great Barrier Reef Boats
depart from the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal (where Spence Street meets the Esplanade). Boats depart at 8:30, 10:30 and 1:00pm. It takes approximately 45 minutes to get to Green Island by boat.
By Helicopter: Helicopter Scenic Flights
to Green Island
leave daily from the Pier Helicopter Pad (located at the Pier Shopping Centre on the esplanade). Flights depart throughout the day, subject to demand and availability.
Green Island’s beautiful beaches are recognised as amongst the best in Far Northern Queensland being postcard perfect, offering an exotic tropical paradise to explore and discover.
Green Island in Australia is known to be the home to 120 native plant species that have been placed here by the tradewinds and the myriad of birdlife that make their way to this tropical Island. This Island of the Great Barrier Reef is surrounded by magnificent coral gardens both close to the Island and for the adventurous scuba diver a short boat ride into deeper waters for more vibrant coral colours and marine life. Green Island is around 6000 years old and was formed by a build up of sand sediments, animal and coral deposits to above sea level and it takes around 45 minutes to walk around the Island and discover its hidden coves and beaches.
Climate on Green Island…
Green Island experiences two seasons; the tropical Summer and the tropical Winter season. During the tropical Winter (May-November) mornings can be as cool as 10 degrees where afternoons generally top 28-30 degrees. Water temperatures are cooler at this time of year anywhere from 15- 20 degrees. If it rains it is usually in the evenings A great time of year for Whale watching.
During the tropical Summer (December-April) temperatures stay between 25-32 degrees. Tropical Summers have slightly higher humidity than tropical Winters and have frequent late afternoon/evening thunderstorms which are very welcome and usually gone the next morning. These balmy tropical evenings are just perfect to escape the European or North American winters. The water temperatures at this time of year are just a perfect 26 to 28 degrees so swimming, sailing and snorkelling are the activities of choice everyday.
More Information on Green Island…
What makes Green Island unique from all other Islands of The Great Barrier Reef (and there are 300 of them) is the dense rainforest which covers the Island. This lush tropical rainforest has over 120 native plants and is full of colourful birds and other Australian wildlife. Amongst the rainforest is a five star resort, hidden from the rest of the island and luxuriously appointed for the discerning traveller. Green Island also has several eateries including Emeralds Restaurant which features award winning tropical cuisine, The Canopy Grill where you can grab a quick burger and fries, Lite Bites Ice Cream Parlour for a refreshing ice cream cone, Reflections Bar which features quick snacks and tasty cocktails or else why not enjoy a romantic beachside dinner underneath the stars on Green Island’s sandy coral beach.
In terms of activities there is plenty to do to for everyone, even those who don’t want to get in the water. When staying at Green Island Resort you can enjoy complimentary activities such as: Sunset Drinks, Glass Bottom Boat Tours, Snorkelling Equipment, Guided Evening Nature Walks, Self Guided Island Walks, Fish Feeding, Entry to the Underwater Observatory, Windsurfing, Surf Skis, Canoes, Beach Volleyball and free use of Beach Chairs and Beach Umbrellas (these activities are not complimentary for day visitors). Other activities available for an additional fee include: Treatments at the Club Spa Massage & Beauty Parlour, Introductory and Certified PADI Scuba Diving, Snorkel Tours, Outer Barrier Reef Day Tour, Parasailing, Helicopter Scenic Flight, Seaplane Scenic Flight, Sea Walker Helmet Diving and Marineland Melanesia (where you can view a giant salt water crocodile and other marine life!). On the island there are also a few beach shops with bathing suits, sarongs and souvenirs; there are also day facilities with showers, change rooms and storage lockers.
Conferences and Functions on Green Island…
Hold your function, meeting or conference on Green Island. What a wonderful incentive destination to reward aspiring staff. The Green Island Resort is perfect for small executive meetings. The board-room can seat 20 delegates and the theatre can hold up to 40. Pre and post conference briefings can be planned incorporating a range of fun team building activities. The beautiful resort hotel and pristine island is a desirable place for all and a perfect place to motivate and reward your employees.
Weddings on Green Island…
Hold your dream wedding on the tropical sands of Green Island Beach. Say your vows as the pristine blue coral waters calmly lap the beaches golden sands. Imagine sharing your special day with several friends and family in the tropical island paradise, on one of the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef! Your wedding reception can be held around the shimmering swimming pool or perhaps lit up by tiki torch lights underneath a rainforest canopy filtering the lights of the moon and stars. Guests can stay in the luxurious five star Green Island Resort and spend their days learning and exploring the Great Barrier Reef.
Tours and activities on Green Island…
There is so much to do on and around Green Island that a one day visit simply isn’t long enough. Whether you are a water enthusiast, a non-swimmer, a small child or a child at heart there is something for you to do!
Green Island really is GREEN…
The Green Island Resort prides itself in being “green by name… green by nature”, therefore several environmental efforts have been initiated to operate in a sustainable manner. The Green Island Resort has its Australian Advanced Eco-Certification and is setting benchmarks in Australia’s Tourism and Hospitality Industry for sustainable and environmentally friendly operations. The following are some of the eco-sensitive measures that Green Island Resort takes to ensure environment is the first priority. In the construction of the resort there was a consorted effort to keep the natural environment well intact, little vegetation was cleared and boardwalks were built to avoid damage to plants and foliage. The resort was built around large trees, encompassing the trees into the natural design. None of the resort’s buildings protrude above the rainforest canopy, keeping a natural camouflaged presence. A desalination plant was built in 2001 that produces 55,000 litres of freshwater daily; this ensures that the islands underground water is not disturbed. The resort was built without gutters so the natural rainwater can fall on the surrounding foliage to replenish the moisture levels to the islands vegetation. In terms if sewage, the resort has one of the most sophisticated tertiary sewage plants in Australia. The resort’s power supply is provided by four diesel generators that are enclosed in a sound proof building to prevent noise pollution; these generators serve another purpose of heating water in the cooler months. The waste produced on Green Island is barged back to the mainland and materials are re-used and recycled at all costs. Green Island Resort has been awarded several awards commemorating its innovative waste management systems including the winner of Australia’s Cleanest Beach Challenge, a Resource Conservation Award and a Waste Management Award.
A bit about the history of Green Island…
This beautiful coral island in the Great Barrier Reef has a unique and interesting history. Over 6000 years old, this charming little Island was made up of sand sediments and coral deposits gradually building up until it reached the size it is today. From there winds and birds carried seeds to Green Island creating the start of the vegetated rainforest we see today. Before white-man discovered Green Island, the island was home to Australian native aboriginals who used the island as a fishing base and also as a ceremonial site where men were initiated. In 1770 Captain James Cook discovered Green Island and named the island after the chief astronomer and observer on his ship, Charles Green. A sea cucumber smoking station was the first industry that presented itself on Green Island in 1857. After years of occasional pleasure cruising to Green Island the Hayes Family started a regular ferry service between Cairns and Green Island in 1924. Declared a National Park in 1948 Green Island was home to many ‘firsts’ in terms of marine-life activities. Green Island had the first ever glass bottom boat, one of the first underwater observatories, one of the first semi-submarines and the first island-based movie theatre in the world. The Great Barrier Reef was declared a National Marine Park in 1974 and following this a brand new eco-friendly resort replaced the other two resorts that had existed previously.